Friday, June 22, 2012

I Love Suishi... Battista's... Lindo Michoacan

One of the things I like to do when we travel to new places is to visit the restaurants that reflect the local flair and try the wines and micro-brewed beers of the area.  Well, since the world exists in Vegas in every sense of food, it is nothing short of spectacular the choices we have to choose from.  Tanya suggested I could even dedicate an entire blog itself on critiquing the restaurants here.  Perhaps.  But who am I really?  The Mountain Man, uncultured and uncouth.  Who am I to lay it down on those establishments and rate them?  I know what I like, and I know when a restaurant sells high and falls short.  With so many to choose from, we will never have to eat at the same place more than a couple times, but we do have some favorites.  Here are 3 of our favorites so far.   

Our favorite suishi place is called 'I Love Suishi', which is right across the street and one of the best suishi places I have ever experienced.  The service is great, but the atmosphere can be quite annoying.  The ladies are dressed in traditional Japanese silk robes and are very efficient at what they do, but they greet every new customer that walks in the door with a high pitched, ear-splitting three sylable Japanese welcome that sounds eerily contrived to reach some level of authenticity.  If its a real Japanese welcome and this is customary at Japanese restaurants, then I will claim my unculturedness and apologize to the fine girls of 'I Love Suishi', but it sounds horribly contrived and it kills me every time.  The music kills me too, the tin-can sounds of plucking and off-beat rhythms descend from the ceiling designed to relax and transcend, but it only winds me tighter and tighter until I'm a little ball of stress and fidgeting with my empty chopsticks.  It makes my fillings ache.  I let Tanya do the ordering at the suishi places.  Its always complicated and she knows better what all the items are and thankfully, you don't have to sit there very long before your food arrives.  I think the atmosphere is OK, and these comments are generally stemming from me going there hungry and easily agitated on a last minute, let's-eat-out decision.  Its one of the best suishi places I've been to, the service is slick and the food will blow your mind!!!  Wow! 

Another great little spot we were directed to is 'Battista's Hole in the Wall', an authentic Italian spot.  You'd never know it by its locale inside a little strip mall just off Flamingo, but it is well worth seeking out.  You are immersed in the atmosphere as soon as you get in, the dimly lit restaurant transports you back to another era.  Thick Italian accents could be heard in the room and the place felt like it was from the 50's.  Literally thousands of artifacts jam every space on the ceiling and walls, so it is endlessly interesting to look around.  There was a main bar area with seating and several dining rooms of varying sizes down a hallway.  We were led down the hall to one near the end which had 5 tables in it.  The menu was very simple and straightforward, permanently written on a placard on the wall, and the meal came with a bottle of their house wine.  I felt myself questioning whether my server's accent was a true Italian...a thick Brooklyn Italian accent.  It just didn't feel right to me at all, so I tried to engage him in conversation to get a little more but he was busy making his rounds and never got back to me until it was bill time.  I'm pretty sure he was faking it.  Before our meal came out, one of the treasures of this restaurant stopped by our table.  An old man, I would put him in his 90's, came out slumped over with the weight of his accordian and chatted us up, found out we were Canadian and played us a short tune.  I forget what he played us, but I was kinda taken with him and wanted to chat so there was a moment of awkwardness before Tan kicked me under the table, I retrieved $2 from my pocket and thanked him for the tune and he moved on to the next table, who turned out to be a crew from Edmundston NB.  I would have liked to talk to him more but he was working, he worked every table in the room then moved on to the next room.  Cute little old guy, there were pictures of him all over the walls in his younger days, so I figure this has been his gig for maybe 50years or so.  The wine was excellent, the food was amazing, and the atmosphere was spot on.  Very enjoyable meal, so we'll definitely be going back to Battista's. 

Last place on a quick trip around the Vegas globe of restaurants is 'Lindo Michoacan' gourmet Mexican cuisine.  Our buddy Andy was in town so we wanted to get him off the Strip to where the locals eat.  The restaurant sits on a hill overlooking the city, so we were able to watch the sun go down and see the city turn to gold over the course of our meal.  Its a spectacular vista, and what a meal!!  Lindo Michoacan is a beautiful restaurant, and a huge menu of things I've never even heard of.  I was quite taken with the complimentary appetizers of chips and mexican dips.  Everything was so fresh and tasty!  One of the dips was insanely hot, so Andy and I enjoyed a few Negra Modelo's to chill the palette.  We ordered some guacamole as an appetizer and the waiter came right to our table with the raw ingredients and did it up right there in front of us.  I was full before my meal even came, so when I left I was really full.  Maybe too full to enjoy my meal properly, but it was damn'd good!  The servers were super friendly too, very happy to have us there.  The thing gets me about some places, is that I never expect a higher end restaurant like Lindo to bring out a sombrero and shots of tequila and have all the servers break out in a big clapping, singing session for someone's birthday.  It has always struck me as a low brow thing to do, for a restaurant to have a staff-staged, festive blowout, but I'm learning now that that's just part of their culture.  The Mexicans like to celebrate and are loud about it.  So are the Acadians.  So I guess I will relent to being wrong about this whole celebratory thing in restaurants and accept it as a traditional part of the culture and not turtle to it anymore.  Just let it all in and accept it as is.  And, I will try not to fill up on the chips the next time we go back.

Thanks for reading.

TRJ





No comments:

Post a Comment